Do you ever have one of the moments where you think, "This is right where I belong"? Somehow, in that moment, all things feel right in the world. And you genuinely know that life couldn't get any better at that precise moment.
I had one of those moments today. You see, I'm taking an Early Field Experience class this semester, which means that 2-3 days a week, I go to an elementary school and I'm assigned to be with a specific class. In that class, I observe the teacher, and I get to do a fair amount of teaching myself.
I'm with Mrs. Long's fourth graders, and they are the most amazing students ever. :) Today was my first day formally teaching the class. I taught history because I figured I'd be better off teaching history instead of math! I spent this past weekend making posters of the lesson I was teaching, creating Indian headbands, and making a review game for them to play. And I was so nervous, not gunna lie!
But I walked into Mrs. Long's class today with all the props I brought, and before I even started, I heard someone say, "You brought stuff for us?! You're the best teacher!" ...My heart melted a wee bit. :)
So the lesson went amazing! And as I was standing there - teaching these kids - I had this moment where I thought, "This is where I belong...and life couldn't possibly get any better right now." There's just an indescribable feeling when you ask a question and a million hands shoot up....or you ask for some volunteers, and again, every hand goes up. And at the same time, there's something so incredibly special about helping a student who doesn't understand a math problem. There's even something sweet about the little boy who comes up to you after the lesson and turns to his favorite poster you drew and says, "This was my favorite part - the part where the Nez Perce killed the white guys." Haha, I love little boys. :)
...I love it... I just really love teaching. There have been several points in my life where I just felt out of step with my own life - like some part of me was missing. And when I'm standing in front of those fourth graders, it's like that missing part of me is completely filled - a part called complete and total happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment